title of project: Monitoring of efficiency of cooling system at power
transformers – MESRT
Number of contract: 21070/14.09.2007
Contracting authority: National Center of Program Management
Contractor: National, Research-Development and Testing Institute for Electrical Engineering – ICMET Craiova
Project manager: Dr. Eng. Teisanu Florin
Module 4 – Partnerships in priority fields
The category of the project: 2 Energy
The type of project: PC
The acronym of project: MESRT
period of project development: 01.01.2008 – 15.12.2009
Total value of project: 620.000 lei
From the budget: 600.000 lei
Co-financing: 20.000 lei
involved in the project:
Project leader: CO National, Research-Development and Testing Institute for Electrical Engineering – ICMET Craiova
- Dr. Eng. Teisanu Florin – Project Manager
Partner 1 – University of Craiova – Faculty of Mechanics
- Prof. Dr. Eng. Bica Marin – Project Responsible
Partner 2 – SC Simtech International Bucharest
- Dr. Eng. Tanasescu Gabriel – Project Responsible
2.1.1. Increasing of security in power supply
1.4.8. Smart systems for decision aiding
The main scientific objective of the project is represented by the inter- and multidisciplinary researches for developing a smart on-line monitoring/diagnosis system of functional state and efficiency parameters of cooling system together with a set of modern software instruments regarding the monitoring, correct and fast information, the making of the best decisions regarding the management and the exploitation in safety conditions of transformers.
- The solutions offered by the project assure the increasing of safety degree in the operation of National Power Grid (SEN). The monitoring, the identification and the signaling of defaults lead to the prevention of abnormal, inefficient operation, or even of power transformers failure.
- It is known that the transformer cooling, especially the magnetic and electric circuits, is carried out by the forced circulation of electroinsulating oil from the tank and the environment. In this sense the project develops two analysis and monitoring methods.
The first method supposes the knowledge in real time of cooling system state, by the emplacement of specific sensors and the on-line transmission of information to an acquisition, processing, interpretation and monitoring equipment. For the data processing it will develop a specialized software for the hydraulic circuits, a software for the pneumatic circuit and another one for the comparison and the calculation of the efficiency of cooling process.
The second method is a purely theoretical method which establishes the thermal field of the transformer by analytical calculation. As input data it uses the oil temperature measured in a point in the upper part of the transformer tank, the loading on phases (the current) and the time thermal constant specific to each transformer construction.
Objectives on stages:
- The development of new methods, applicable and testable solutions for efficiency increasing of cooling process (thermal exchange).
- Study for the foundation of the structure of a smart system for cooling process monitoring.
- Acquisition, processing and monitoring programs of oil and air cooling circuit.
- Program packet of analysis and monitoring of efficiency of cooling system assembly of transformer.
- Carrying out and experimentation of functional model of smart monitoring minisystem.
- Development of purely theoretical method which establishes the thermal field of cooling system by analytical calculation.
- National/international dissemination of results.
Scheme of project carrying out/Time schedule:
- Stage I / Foundation of the structure
of a smart monitoring system for power transformer cooling system
Period: 01.01.2008 – 30.06.2008
Total value of the stage: 60 000 lei
- Stage II.1 / Elaboration of the functional
model (Activity II.1; Activity II.2)
Period: 01.07.2008 – 31.08.2009
Total value of the stage: 150 890 lei
- Stage II.2 / Elaboration of the functional
model (Activity II.3; Activity II.4)
Period: 01.09.2009 – 15.12.2009
Total value of the stage: 53 847 lei
- Stage III / Carrying out and experimentation of the functional
model for smart mini-system
Period: 01.01.2010 – 30.06.2010
Total value of the stage: 325 263 lei
- Stage IV / Property rights. Dissemination of information
Period: 01.07.2010 – 15.09.2010
Total value of the stage: 30 000 lei
The way of project finalization: Carrying out and testing of functional model of smart minisystem and dissemination of information in the scientific medium in the country and abroad.
• The main companies of the national power grid:
- Transelectrica S.A.;
- Electrica S.A.;
- Hidroelectrica S.A.;
- Termoelectrica S.A.;
- The manufacturers of transformers and autotransformers
- The SMEs, the manufacturers of radiators, electrical pumps and electrical fans, for cooling batteries, in the sense it offers the data collected in the exploitation (monitoring) for improving the performances of products.
economical and social impact:
The main technical impact of the project is generated by the fact that it perfectly answers the requirements of the European technological platform in the field and industry partners.
By the approached problems the project creates opportunities for the education, training, research and new places of work for the young generation of specialists.
In the same time the project has an impact on the SMEs, the manufacturers of radiators, electrical pumps and electrical fans, for the cooling batteries, in the sense that it offers data collected in the exploitation (monitoring) for improving the performances of products.
With a rigorous monitoring, with exact interpretations of diagnoses and a realistic implementation of operation/maintenance strategies it will carry out the following:
- The identification of conditions of economic charging of assets from the national power grid (SEN) and the evaluation of maximum operating efficiency;
- The minimizing of premature failure risks;
- The evaluation of remaining lifetime and the planning in advance of placing out of operation/replacement of the asset.
- The prolongation of lifetime by the implementation of correct operation strategies and of rentable maintenance strategies;
- The improving of system performances which provide a high reliability and the availability of the installation;
- The minimizing of operation costs on long term;
- The saving of costs by the elimination of no-planned maintenance;
- The minimizing of interruption periods;
- The provision in advance of spare parts for obtaining the competitive productivity;
- The correct risk management;
- The searching of “data mining” to predict the future behaviour.
Not at last, the project contributes to the creation of safer working conditions, the avoidance of ecological disasters and the environment preservation.